Who we are
Hope through connection, collaboration, creativity and care
The TAVS Centre comes under HOPE Trust Cardiff CIO. This is the social action charity for Glenwood Church. Our heart through TAVS is to engage, support and empower people in Cardiff addressing issues arising from homelessness, addiction, poor mental health and isolation.
We aim to:
What we do
- Build a sense of community and belonging and provide a safe hub for the homeless, the vulnerably housed and anyone who faces any form of social exclusion in Cardiff.
- Support those we see in an empowering, inclusive, holistic, respectful and purpose-giving way.
- See people move from a place of social exclusion to social inclusion, reintegrated into wider society and the opportunities resulting from that.
- Work in partnership with other organisations in Cardiff to reach goals ensuring there is no duplication, and making efficient use of resources.
TAVS recognises the importance of therapeutically engaging with those who attend, offering meaningful activity in a safe space. We use a journey of positive change and transformation model and this takes into account the complexity of needs faced by those we see and aims to journey with individuals from whatever point they are at.
Through our bakery, community choir, creative space, women’s space, meals and more, alongside the more practical support with laundry and shower facilities, provision of clothes and toiletries, we want to see those currently in a place of exclusion move towards a place of social inclusion, a stable lifestyle, sustainable employment and positive relationships. We want to see them reintegrated into wider society and the opportunities resulting from that.
TAVS opened in 2001 and the use of the centre has increased significantly over the years. Over the last couple of years through fundraisers and grant applications we have been and are investing in the up keep of the building to ensure that it continues to be a building fit for purpose.
Share a Life
In close partnership with Glenwood Church we have run Share a Life
. Over the last two years we have been engaging with homeless and vulnerably housed families and individuals within Cardiff and Swansea to hear personal stories so our artist can bring their own personality and character into customised portraits. By displaying their stories and portraits across the city through exhibitions, we aim to promote and encourage a positive interaction and break down the stigma with the homeless community and the public.
Over recent months due to COVID-19 Tavs has had to significantly change the way we run.
- We have a list of about 70 of our regulars and addresses of those that have (most in hostels). We have volunteer writing to them sending cards of encouragement over the weeks and months ahead.
- We have moved our food provision to a delivery of hot meals to 50 people twice a week.
- We are also supporting Cardiff Council at the YHA Hotel, which has taken in 80 homeless. We are cooking at the hotel for 90 on Friday and Saturday evening.
For further information please visit tavscardiff.org
St James Church ::
St Martin in the Fields ::
Oxford Salvation Army